Fashion Revolution Day

It’s Fashion Revolution Day week. A time to reflect on the realities of the Fashion Industry! Here at CFL we adore fashion, as well you know – specifically charity shop and second hand fashion, but there are lots of aspects to the production and lifetime of clothes that need to be re-thought. Fashion Revolution Day calls for more transparency and a fairer, safer fashion industry. It calls for people to think about where their clothes come from, how the production of clothes affect people and the environment and it examines what more could be done by everyone to aid positive change!

In the spirit of Fashion Revolution week our founder Emma has been busy taking part in events and activities and we’d like to take a moment to share what she’s up to. She’s always been a staunch advocate of sharing the joy of charity shopping and second hand fashion with the world and as such she’s inspired many of us here to rethink buying new from the high street as our standard shopping destination of choice. Here’s a little about Emma’s story – our very own in house Fashion revolutionary!

OUR VERY OWN REVOLUTIONARY

Emma Slade Edmondson is the creative brain behind Charity Fashion Live and a second-hand shopping advocate. Working closely with many UK charities such as Cancer Research UK and BarnadosEmma combines her marketing expertise with her experience in the fashion industry to help revolutionise the experience of charity shopping and indeed the way people think about it. Fashion doesn’t need to come at a cost to the planet and while the retail industry is currently the second largest cause of pollution behind the oil industry – it’s time for change!

Emma’s aim is to interrupt the fast fashion industry by encouraging people to get creative with their unloved items of clothing. We all have a few hidden away in the back of our wardrobes. The average woman owns 95 items of clothing, but only wears 59% of them. That leaves a whole 41% to play with, something we should all be doing. The solution is two-fold: utilise the clothes you already own, and be more considered about the pieces that you buy. Staying stylish doesn’t have to mean buying into the cycle of wearing something cheap a few times before chucking it. After all extending the life of our clothing by just 9 months would reduce Carbon Waste and Water footprints by 20-30%.

CHARITY SHOPPING

This is where charity shopping comes in. Given that trends in fashion are so often recycled, there is no reason to think that your clothes can’t be. Emma’s ethos is that it is entirely possible to be on-trend in second-hand clothes. This is something that is perfectly showcased with Charity Fashion Live; creating current looks inspired by those on the catwalk in real time as they emerge out of only the donated clothes she finds in a single charity shop. As fashion lovers, it is important that we learn to invest in our clothes. Buying well-made items and pre-loved pieces helps to avoid the 350,000 tonnes of textiles that make it into landfills each year. With clothing becoming the fastest growing waste stream in the UK over the past 10 years, it has never been more important to consider where your clothes came from and where they will end up.

Emma’s slow-fashion initiative encourages shoppers to spend longer thinking about which pieces they are adding to their wardrobes. Can you wear it to more than one occasion? How well will it fit into the outfits you already own? This results in a more carefully curated wardrobe and a better-developed sense of style. Plus, the feel-good factor of finding a bargain after ruffling through the rails of a charity shop is undeniable. So, not only is this better for the planet, but it also works out pretty well for you!

To find out more about how you can get involved with the Fashion Revolution – get started by heading over to sign the manifesto and take a look at 7 days 7 ways to find out how you can help change the fashion industry.

Article written by Lucy Grove